Air-Fried Whole Halibut
Air-Fried Whole Halibut
Papillote is a cooking technique to cook food wrapped in oiled or parchment paper in French cuisine. Normally cooked in traditional ovens, we find the air fryer is an even better and quicker solution.
Seafood or vegetable “papillote” is a nutritious way of producing moist and tender seafood meals, with nutrition kept and quicker cooking time. The parchment paper is able to cook and steam the food during cooking and, in the process, seal in flavors of the food. Aluminum foil can also be used for an “air-fried papillote” dish; or you can double up with a piece of parchment paper to line the seafood and a piece of aluminum foil wrapping the seafood inside. This way you are able to produce an even tighter seal.
To cooks a whole fish “en papillote” is a great way to enjoy a seafood meal with your love ones. With this method, the air fryer enables a way of cooking similar to that of steaming, maintaining precious nutrients of ingredients without losing flavors.
When you choose a whole fish to cook this way, size and thickness are important considerations. Needless to say, if the fish is too large in size for the air fryer, you may not be able to have the fish cooked evenly.
- One whole halibut or trout or sea bass, about 1 to 1-½ pound in size
- ½ lemon, thinly sliced
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ head of fennel or white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Fresh herbs such as dill, rosemary or thyme
- Coarse & freshly grounded black pepper
- Set “air fry” function to “A4”; set temperature to “350F”; set timer to “16” minutes; place cooking basket in the middle of the air fryer when cooking; preheat the air fryer;
- Clean the fish, scales removed and inside cleaned, rinsed and dried;
- Place some slices of lemon inside of the cavity of the fish, add sprigs of fresh herb;
- Put a layer of either sliced fennel or white onion over one half of a large piece of parchment paper;
- Place the stuffed fish on top, drizzle olive oil on the fish, and then lay a layer of fresh herbs;
- Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and black pepper over the herbs over the fish;
- Now fold the other half of the parchment paper over and fold the edges to make a tight seal. If necessary and easier, you can also staple the folded edge together;
- Place the “halibut papillote” package in the air fry basket and place it in the middle of the Val Cucine air fryer;
- Cook for 16 minutes;
- When the cooking has been complete, remove the package from the basket, let it rest for 2-3 minutes;
- Open the papillote package, you can either remove the fish or serve the fish in the parchment paper package;
- Bon Appetite!